logo
 
Texas Ranger Motel and RV Park
401 US Hwy 67/84 Santa Anna, TX 76878
Facebook{ 325-348-3150 }
 
 

Genuine Texas History

old postcard of the hotel

The first Rangers in this area were under the command of Captain Jeff Maltby in Major John B. Jones command of the Frontier Battalion in 1874.  Under Maltby, Company E, was divided, one part using Santa Anna mountains as their campground.  One of his men, C. M. Grady tells of the Ranger camp at what came to be known as Milligan Crossing on Home Creek.

Many of these stouthearted young Rangers remained here after their terms of service ended, helping civilize the area.  Names such as Armstrong, Sackett, Elkins, Cross, Grady, and Cheatam figure large in the history of Coleman County.  These were some of the men who founded the Texas Ex-Rangers Association in 1920.  These old Indian fighters held annual reunions at various cities around the state: San Antonio, San Saba, Menard, Ranger, and others.  As in their Ranger days, the gatherings were not big on organization and circumstance—they were reunions rather than meetings.

article from the paper in 1939
Excerpt from an article about the Ranger Building published in 1939.

In 1935, Santa Anna hosted the annual event on what soon became the most common reunion site—a twenty-acre park on the east end of the Santa Anna Mountains.  The citizens of Santa Anna raised the funds required to buy the land and erect, with Depression-era National Youth Association labor, a stone structure for a Texas Ranger Memorial Museum, replete with artifacts.

It took almost three years to complete the project.  The stone was quarried from the Millard place east of town, and T. T. Perry, local stone artist, carved and laid the building cornerstone.  The entire complex was dedicated at the August, 1939, reunion, complete with well-known speakers, bands, feasting, and celebration.

Ex-Rangers Reunions were held at various places in the ensuing dozen or so years, always returning to Santa Anna.  As the old Indian fighters died off the reunions became less and less well attended.  Not having shared the bond of common suffering the old Indian fighters had experienced on the frontier, younger Ex-Rangers lacked interest in the Reunions.  The last reunion was held in 1960.

Years later the reunion hall fell into disrepair. In 1975 the reunion hall was purchased by then sheriff H. F. Fenton, who resurrected it as a motel. 2015 bought new owners Bill & Nancy Massey who totally renovated the premises.

 

Texas Forts Trail

Located on the Texas Forts Trail

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Texas Ranger Motel and RV Park | reservations@texasrangermotel.com | 401 East US Highway 67-84, Santa Anna, Texas 76878 | 325-348-3150